Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Be My Friend?

I'm feeling strangely productive today. It's before 10 am and I've already had an interview, a yoga session, and my coffee. And I was up at 6:30 (and I can't remember the last time I was up that early!). So now I'm back home and naturally, I crawled back in bed for a little while, and decided to post earlier than usual. (Let's be honest. NO ONE wants to get out of bed when it looks like this outside!)
I had an interesting interview with Lululemon. It was a group interview, which I had never experienced. It felt strange talking and almost bragging about yourself in front of other very qualified candidates. There were 15 of us, all early 20's, beautiful, fit women (and 1 guy); some were new to the city and some were from the Bay Area. They ended up having only seasonal positions open for now, which isn't necessarily what I'm looking for, but it was good interview experience anyways! 

The takeaway was even greater than that; I'm really ready to bring fitness back into my life. I mean more than an occasional run or trip to the gym. I really want to return to the place I was in college, where working out is a part of who I am. It creates such a positive state of mind and allows for so much more productivity. 

But walking out of the store, all I could think of was how I so desperately wanted to stop the other girls and invite them to get breakfast. Or invite them to my apartment for lunch. Or give them my number to make plans later.

I've had this conversation with several of my friends, especially lately. But one of the biggest challenges I've found in my adult life is making friends. I know it may sound silly, but without school and sports teams, and being in a place surrounded by people with common interests, it is difficult to meet people!

My favorite writer/blogger, Joanna Goddard wrote a post about this, linking to an article her husband wrote for the NY Times. I laughed out loud and was literally shaking my head in agreement the entire time I read it. It's so true! And I wish there was a socially acceptable way to invite someone to be your friend. I also wish I was more bold and had the confidence to ask the girls out to coffee this morning. But I'm not. And I didn't. But it did leave me with a hopeful feeling that there are other girls out there just like me. New to the city, unemployed, fighting the daily battle of staying in shape. I just hope I can bump into them again soon.

Random morning thoughts for sure. I hope your Tuesday is lovely and productive!


3 comments:

  1. Kaitlin, I SO hear you on the friends thing! I have been in Petaluma for over a year and have yet to meet ONE friend. I swear if there was a match.com for friends I would join it! Ha! When I see a girl at a bar, or at the grocery store, or anywhere that I think I could be friends with, I just wish there was a way to make friends with them without seeming creepy. I think I just need to get over myself and reach out - what do I have to lose?

    I think once you get a job you will meet more people - it just exposes you to other people's "circles". I'm hoping my winery job leads to friends here!

    THANK YOU for posting this, and making me feel so much better about my friendlessness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you feel the same way. It's seriously an issue. If only we we're a little geographically closer and we could be 'friendless' together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the same way everyday in Chicago. I love my life here, but it's a struggle that can bring you down sometimes. It's hard even after you meet people--it's shocked me how much time it can take in the 'real world' to develop the level of closeness that seemed so easy in college. There isn't enough time between busy work schedules and hauling yourself around town sometimes to get the face-time to get close. I miss the days of shared interest, shared context, and close proximity.

    I've been here a year and still struggle, but it's certainly gotten easier. JP is right--work helps a lot. And so does time.

    Thanks for articulating it so well. I feel the burden of this very regularly and it's always nice to know you're not alone.

    ReplyDelete