Thursday, October 25, 2012

Simplify

Yesterday was not a good day. I feel like such a downer when I say that, but it's the truth. And if there's one thing I want this blog to be, it's truthful and vulnerable. It's hard feeling like you're not being productive or making a difference, even on a day to day basis. I have some potentially pretty exciting things in the works, but only time and patience will tell how they turn out. 

You know those days when the stars just don't line up and things don't seem to be in your favor? Well that was the case for me yesterday. It's so cliché, but on my way to meet Felix for lunch, I even stepped in a huge, muddy street puddle. Seriously? I could have burst into tears right then and there but I held it in to avoid the embarrassment. 

My mom is the best advice-giver in the whole world. Really. She always says exactly what I need to hear to get me out of my slump. She's validating while at the same time being really honest.

She told me not to 'over think' things. My stress to find the 'perfect' job is unnecessary and unrealistic. 
She told me that I am my biggest critic and I am too hard on myself (which I already knew, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded). 
She told me to relax and to enjoy this period in my life because soon, I'll have a job taking up all of my time and I'll be wishing for more downtime.
She told me to not complicate things, to get out there, and to do what I love. The rest will fall into place.
She's so smart. 

It was just the boost I needed to change my perspective a little bit, take a few big steps back, and SIMPLIFY things. 

Cheers to a good Thursday! And GO GIANTS!

1 comment:

  1. Your mom is a wise wise lady! And when you need to smile, go watch videos of the Giants celebrating after they won the pennant. Especially Sergio Romo freaking out, Marco Scutaro in the rain, and Bruce Bochy SMILING for real. And remember that you live in SF with the best damn team on the planet in your backyard!!

    I love watching the elation on their faces - it reminds me of when I was an athlete, winning things - such a burst of joy and relief, I know you remember it!! It's a fun reminder :)

    Lots of love to you Kaitlin!! Glad you have an awesome mom to get you through the weird times!!

    ReplyDelete