Thursday, October 4, 2012

Enough


"A tremendous lesson..Africans have taught me, is that there is a point called 'enough.' It is elusive, but it exists..Enough is food, water, clean air, and community. Enough is the rhythm of a talking drum under a moon that speaks to you through its light. Enough is listening to nature rather than dominating it. We in the West must relax and ratchet down to the joyful place called ENOUGH." -William Powers, Blue Clay People

This quote is too good. I posted it last year in the middle of my time in Uganda, and I remember being hit really hard when I read it.

Sitting with one of my dearest friends the other night over a glass of red wine, this quote came to my mind. People (and I'm mostly talking about myself) constantly strive for more, whatever that may mean. I get consumed with what I don't have, or what I'm not doing, and focus on how I am going to get 'it', meanwhile forgetting about that elusive point of 'enough.' I wish I knew how to be better about this. I wish there was an easier way to feel more satisfied and content with the present. I wish I could feel enough from the rhythm of a drum, too. But for now, right now in this moment, I will try. And I hope I continue to be better at ratcheting down to the joyful place of ENOUGH.

Tiny thought for today. Very excited for this coming weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment