Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Welcome to America

Most of you know what a huge annoyance the government has been over the years in my and Felix's relationship. Well, I am overjoyed to announce that THAT IS OVER. We've had 4 years of student visas, traveller visas, temporary residency cards, I-29's, I-90's, USCIS officials, 1-485 and 1-290 forms, and I think I'm even making some of these up because it's all kind of a blur to me.

Relationships are challenging enough when immigration officials aren't involved. But we had to deal with extended stays at border control and immigration at airports. Felix was almost always called into a back room for waiting or questioning where they made him sit for an extra 20 minutes just to make him sweat. 

Last Wednesday, we took the final step in this process: our marriage interview. Our lawyer had prepped us above and beyond and we had the documentation to prove it; to say we were ready was an understatement. Not to mention, we're actually in love. Few couples have to pass a 'test' to prove that their love is genuine and they married for the right reasons. But we were ready, in fact, pumped and excited for the interrogation. There was no question this guy could ask us that we wouldn't have an answer for. The few days prior, we quizzed each other on favorites, specific dates, meals, moments. 

Either the official we met with could tell right away that we were legit, or he was tired and ready for lunch. He glanced at a few photos and documents, asked us to name our in-laws, and congratulated Felix on his permanent residency.

We left feeling relieved and of course happy, but it's always strange when something that is expected to be emotional and intense turns out to be so anti-climactic. The next day, he received a strange, but official document from immigration services 'welcoming him to the United States of America!' I laughed out loud when I read it, since he's been living here for almost 10 years now.

Exactly one week later, (today!) we received his official Green Card in the mail. We are SO relieved this process is behind us, and thankful to everyone who supported us along the way.


2 comments:

  1. 1. I absolutely LOVE your blog! 2. Where is Felix from? and how did you guys meet? Just curious. :) 3. Keep posting--good to see you are doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ! Thanks for reading! I also love your blog. Such a great way to keep updated! Felix is German, but grew up all over (Japan, Rome, France) and came to the US for undergrad in 2004. We met during undergrad in Charlotte. He played tennis and a mutual friend introduced us my sophomore year. And the rest is history :)

    ReplyDelete