I remember back in elementary and middle school, it was completely unacceptable to eat by yourself, and it was always sad when you saw a kid sitting alone at a big empty table. All the way into high school, I remember heading to the library to study or driving home during my lunch hour if I didn't have secured plans with friends. The thought of eating alone was terrifying and just not an option.
When I was young, I still remember seeing 'grown-ups' sitting by themselves while out to eat at restaurants and thinking it was so sad that they didn't have anyone to join them. Now I understand completely. I really enjoy those times I have to myself, and I think everyone should take time to eat, shop, and see movies on their own (I haven't gone to a movie alone yet, but I would!) There is something strangely empowering about sitting at your own table, with a book or just your own thoughts to keep you company.
Of course it's so nice to have company for all of these activities, but I think there is something to be said about that 'me' time that starts to go away when you're in a serious relationship or marriage because it's just easier to do everything with your partner.
I hope everyone is having a good week so far.
*photo from msnbc
No comments:
Post a Comment