Monday, September 17, 2012

A Great Monday


Today was a great day; although, it started out at as one of those mornings that could have gone either way.

I woke up coming off of a weekend spent fighting flu symptoms. It was one of those Mondays (like most Mondays) that sneaks up on you after an unproductive and uneventful Saturday and Sunday. It was an incredibly foggy and cold morning in the city, and I would have been content staying in my pajamas, drinking tea, eating leftovers, and watching movies on the couch. But instead, my cousin called and said she'd be by to pick me up at 10 for an impromptu trip to the beach. I wasn't thrilled about this plan, but I sucked it up, packed a beach bag and a coffee to go, and met her outside.


We made the 40 minute drive through Tamalpais Valley and onto curvy Highway 1 to Muir Beach. It was early and cold enough that there weren't many people there yet. The clouds were just starting to burn away and the sun was starting to peek through. We hiked down the beach and over a rocky area where we had our own private cove. We took a quick swim in the ice cold water, and it was one of those things that you didn't realize you needed until you've done it. It was surprisingly refreshing and rejuvenating. We bundled up in towels and headed back into the city.


We stopped for a bagel and coffee in the Presidio, a beautiful neighborhood right outside the city. And then I walked to a doctor's appointment a few blocks away. I love my new doctor and I seem to be all healthy - 2 good things! I spent the next 2 hours taking the long way home, stopping in antique and consignment shops along the way (I'm in search of a lamp and some art for the apartment). Although I can no longer get lost because I know my way around the city pretty well, it is still so fun continuing to explore the little neighborhoods and pockets of shops and restaurants. 

I spent the next hour doing laundry (at the laundromat down the street.. another thing that has taken some getting used to!) and talked for awhile with the most pleasant retired Australian man who is traveling for 6 months with his wife. 

Felix met me at the laundromat as I was finishing up. We picked up some fresh veggies and made a quick dinner and enjoyed some wine while watching football.

The greatest days are always the ones you don't expect anything from. Today wasn't necessarily productive. Nothing in particular happened to make it such a great day. But it was. It was so great, and I felt especially happy and lucky and relaxed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment