Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Unexpected

Today was unexpected

I spent the morning at home, caught up on some emails and had a long lunch. Feeling stir crazy, I packed up my stuff and left the apartment. 

I unexpectedly walked into sunshine and a warm wind outside. I took a long walk - to the touristy part of Lombard street and back down Powell street. I stopped at a Starbucks near Union Square and set up camp by a window. I began cranking out a few applications, and about 2 hours in... 

I unexpectedly bonded with 2 German flight attendants. Without invitation, they joined me at my already overcrowded table. It ended up being a lovely break for me. It's tough going entire days without any real communication or human contact with the exception of millions of cover letters and placing coffee orders. The 2 women sat with me for a refreshing hour and a half, critiquing every girl who passed the table, explaining the relationship between Russians and Germans, complaining about menopause, and asking about my life plans. I learned that they have been flight attendants for Lufthansa for 24+ years, that they were jet-lagged, that they love their jobs. One is clumsy, one never had children. They had only met a few days ago, yet seemed like lifelong friends. They agreed that learning German is difficult, and told me they were proud that I was trying to learn. 

unexpectedly felt like I was sitting at coffee in Paris with my mom and my mother-in-law. It felt like home. We laughed so hard for that hour and a half. In my experience, Germans are not usually so friendly at first. Well, these ladies were an absolute exception. After spilling coffee all over the table (twice!), planning out the job I am going to get, when and where I will have my first child, and what I should make Felix for dinner tonight, they went on their way, probably thinking they were more of a nuisance than blessing to my day. 

I pushed through the remainder of my afternoon, feeling refreshed and rejuvenated. And now I'm rewarding myself with an iced tea and lemon cake. 

Today was unexpected, in the best way possible. I hope everyone is having a beautiful, Tuesday evening.

1 comment:

  1. get it girl! way to be super friendly and outgoing!! those ladies sound awesome - i love that it happened in a starbucks too, where i feel like everyone is so serious. that makes me want to travel!!

    ReplyDelete