I had a meeting today with a woman I was connected with through a man I met at a networking event, hah. She is a seasoned non-profit professional, with experience in grant writing, health initiatives, research, coalition and foundation work, fundraising, etc. She had so much good feedback and advice for me as far as getting my foot in San Francisco's non-profit doors. It was really helpful to hear from someone who is years ahead of me as far as experience but who began in the same place I did: wanting to do meaningful work with very little sense of direction of where to start. One piece of advice I've gotten from almost every single person I've met with: 'don't forget to relax and enjoy San Francisco, too.' While I am well aware of this, it's nice to be reminded that it's okay to relax and have fun, even if it's coming from essentially a stranger.
Afterwards, we walked around Rockridge (a small area in Oakland) and shopped for stocking stuffers for her kids. We parted ways I just wasn't ready to go back to the city. I kept walking and ended up finding a dress for the Zoosk holiday party this weekend. I've stopped at 3 different cafes and had everything from a turkey wrap to a spicy hot chocolate. I've had to get creative with my drink choices since I spend so much time in cafes but can only handle so much caffeine before I get jittery and crazy.
It has been a stunning day in Oakland. It feels and looks a lot like Denver in the Fall - a perfect balance between the cold air and the warm sun. I've walked up and down the main street 6 or 7 times, window shopping and people watching. Now I'm back at the cafe I started the day at because they had the best wifi. I'm waiting for my friend to finish up work in Berkeley and we're going to go to happy hour somewhere around here. Happy Thursday friends!
No comments:
Post a Comment