Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Zanzibar, Tanzania

The first month I spent in Africa was in Summer of 2010. After Felix and I backpacked through Europe for 6 weeks, we had planned to meet the group we'd be touring East Africa with in Rwanda. And on the way, we figured we would use the few extra days we had to make a stop in Zanzibar, Tanzania. It may seem backwards, planning a few relaxing beach days before beginning an intense trip focused on destitution, poverty, and sustainable development. But I wouldn't have done it any other way. I think one of the reasons I was so deeply affected by Rwanda and Uganda was because my first few days in Africa were spent at a beautiful resort on Zanzibar. Beautiful is an understatement. The water couldn't have been any more turquoise. The sand couldn't have been whiter or cleaner. And the locals couldn't have been more kind and welcoming.

It was an amazing 3 days, full of snorkeling, swimming, and napping on the porch. It was the perfect way to prepare our hearts and minds for what the next 3 weeks would be like. Because those next 3 weeks were absolutely life-altering, and Zanzibar was the perfect place to start. These shots come nowhere close to showing the beauty and serenity that is Zanzibar. 
Happy Election Day, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment