Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Job, Job, Job!

If the title doesn't make it clear enough, I have a job! I accepted it last Tuesday and have been patiently waiting for my first day, today.

After countless coffees/teas/smoothies, 91 applications (yes, I counted all of them), 13 rejections, 8 interviews, and 2 job offers (the rest went unanswered/ignored), I got a job as a Development Assistant for a non-profit called Room to Read. Their focus and mission deals with gender equality in education and increasing literacy rates in 11 different countries.

I am so excited to be finally investing myself and my time into a company. After day 1, I can already tell I am going to learn a lot. I am so ready to be challenged and to work long hours and to be exhausted after a long day. I was so stir crazy, I would have been happy to bury myself into anything, but this happens to be an ideal stepping stone and gateway into what I want to be doing in the future - international development. The job deals with everything from event planning and donor management to writing and managing e-newsletters and budget reports. 

The first day was great. Tons of information, names, documents, resources... And this glass of wine I'm drinking right now tastes way better than it has in the last 3 months. It's been a loooong road of unemployment and job searching (I think it's felt much longer than it actually has been though). I am so excited to be starting a new chapter with this wonderful company. Until next time, blog.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment