Saturday, November 26, 2011

Birthday Blues?

Birthdays, in my opinion, are overrated and over anticipated. I have always grouped them in with New Year's Eve - one of those holidays that no matter how hard you try and plan or how excited you get, it never goes as well as you want it to. Maybe because these 'holidays' are always (even if you don't try to) so built up in our minds, that we set them up to be failures. I have always been a fan of spreading birthday celebrations over the span of a whole week. That way you aren't putting all of your hope for a perfect celebration into a 12-hour slot.

That may seem very negative on my part, but I can vividly remember a few really bad birthdays from high school and college that resulted in tears and disappointment. But this year was an absolute exception. The day did, however, begin in tears after a rough morning at work: countless attempts at discipline and a group of extremely defiant teenagers. But after a brief cry on the phone to Felix in the car, my birthday got significantly better as the day went on.

I came home to a clean apartment and a slice of my favorite chocolate cake. One of my best friends picked me up for an early lunch, hands full with beautiful orange roses and a cake, complete with 24 candles!

My birthday afternoon consisted of cuddles, a movie, and a nap on the couch - ideal after a night at work. We woke up on time for a delicious dinner at the Melting Pot in downtown Littleton. This was a go-to birthday spot back in the day so it was nostalgic and brought back wonderful memories.
Birthday festivities continued throughout the week with gifts from amazing friends from the other side of the country, salsa lessons, and seeing the Lion King show downtown.
Honestly, the past few weeks, I've had angst about getting 'older.' 24 seemed really old. I remember turning 18 and 19 and feeling like mid-20's were so far away. But time goes by fast, and I imagine it only gets faster. But 24 is great. I'd like to think I'm one year wiser and more mature, but I'm definitely one year more appreciative for all the fabulous people in my life.

Happy weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Birthday weeks are totally necessary. the days of a one night blow out drunk fest left with college, and I think appreciating a lunch with friends or a few dinners with different groups of people are great birthday celebrations! I like to think of birthdays as a time to re connect with people- an excuse to see friends. And of course a time to count how many besties for life friends you have by how many people posted on your facebook. haha! Happy birthday Kaitlin, glad to hear you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete