There's one thing I've learned abut myself, especially in the last year: I love to write. It doesn't matter the subject or the facet in which I'm writing, but I always enjoyed knocking out a good paper in college, keeping up with journals, and writing endless amounts of "to-do" lists. But since I've been back from Uganda, I've been seriously struggling with my writing and I'm not sure why. The whole "holding myself accountable to my blog" thing didn't work. It seemed to create more writer's block for me because since then, I haven't felt that anything I do or think of is worthy of writing about.
I've been reading all sorts of blogs lately about food, travel, fashion, charities, etc. I am constantly inspired and overwhelmingly intimidated by so many bloggers, not only because they are all tremendous writers, but because I know how difficult it is to put yourself out there like that. I am so convinced that writing (especially in a public forum) is one of the most raw and vulnerable forms of self-expression. Not to mention that by writing on a public blog, you have to convince yourself that people may in fact care about what you have to say (And I'm definitely not there yet!)
Although my initial plan was for no one to be reading this, my type A personality (thanks, Dad) doesn't allow me to post anything I don't feel is worthy. And my definition of worthy is at times too high to meet.
So I have a new plan... Relax and just write.
Whether that ends up being my stream of consciousness, attempts in the kitchen, peak/pit experiences in my own life, or just pictures I want to "share," I just hope I can be somehow relate-able to someone out there.
Life for us has been great lately. I forgot how pleasant Denver is in the Fall and I was falling in love with the leaves constantly.
And we welcomed our first huge snow with open arms... and a broken heater. Fortunately, my parents (and conveniently, landlords) live a few blocks away and they don't mind letting us stay with them for a few days every now and then.
Until soon, we send love from Denver!


Kaitlin! First of all, it has been way too long! Second of all, I fully enjoy reading your updates! I have a blog too, and I tried to start it with a "goal" or theme - we challenged ourselves to buy food only at the farmers market and cook with that. Well, it was kind of a bust, mostly due to how much we both work, but I'm still posting - mostly about food, and it was hard to get past the feeling of self-centered ness that comes with sharing your thoughts on a blog. But I am at a place now that people read my blog because it's a bit like an e-mail update, but less personal. I like writing too, and it's really fun to have a venue. So, I say go for it! Relax and write away! As someone who thinks you are great, I am excited and interested in what you have to say!
ReplyDelete