Thursday, August 25, 2011

Slumbasing It

The last few weeks have been filled with lots of new work and celebration. We spent 4 days in Kaliro, our village project. It was, as always, a nice escape from the city. We played soccer, did some home visits, fetched a lot of water, went on walks, hung with the kiddos, and relaxed. It was so good seeing some of the kids again and seeing familiar faces on the walks. It's unbelievable how hospitable everyone is. We went hut to hut, introducing ourselves and getting to know some of our neighbors and people dropped everything they were doing to serve us tea and nuts and give us their time.

My friend Jerry and I left the village a day earlier than everyone else because we had made plans to go to his home church on Sunday. I got to meet some of his closest friends, people he's known since primary school. Afterwards, we had a nice lunch and went to his house. I got to see where he lives and meet his sister, cousins, and niece and nephew. It was such an honor that he wanted me to meet them. He is very close with his family and he was so proud to introduce them to me.

Monday was a BIG day. In the morning, we had the graduation party for the 8 ladies who graduated from Solomon's Thread of Life Program. A little background on the project: it's a women's empowerment program in it's 3rd successful year. The goal is to temporarily get the ladies out of the slums and into an environment where they feel safe and important. We provide them and their children with a balanced lunch and daycare. It's an 8 week course where they learn basic sewing skills (child's dress, purse, skirt) and bead-making. Most of the women Solomon recruits for the class come from prostitution, abuse, or drugs. Since CLD just bought the Slumbase property, this was their first year at this property. So now, the long-term goal is to create a "Community Center" with a medical clinic, computer training center, possibly temporary housing, and much more. I wish there was room on this blog to post before and after pictures because the transformation was INCREDIBLE! But you can imagine, it was a deserted property that hadn't been properly maintained in a long time.

When we drove into the compound, I'm not sure why but I was expecting the worst. Like since the week before when I was there, someone came in and ruined everything. But at that moment I got out of the car, I would have said it was one of the most beautiful places in all of Uganda. Solomon had music playing, all the women's kids were running around, the flowers and trees we planted looked like they'd grown in just days. It was amazing. We had a small ceremony, the ladies gave appreciation speeches and talked about their plans for the future. Most of them never thought they would get the chance to actually plan for their future. They were all so proud of their new skills. 3 of them will remain at T.O.L., making crafts for local and American markets. A few of them already found jobs at craft markets around the city, and Solomon is working with the rest to make sure they find work. The ladies made us a huge local lunch and everyone hung outside for the afternoon.

Cody and Morgan in the NEW Medical Clinic

Eddy, one of the graduate's boys

The graduating class with friends and family

Cutting the cake!

Me and Solomon



Craft room mural

Sewing room mural
After the T.O.L. celebration, we hurried home to prepare for the Staff Appreciation/End of Summer Party. We had about 40 people over for dinner and cake. It was a good time to see friends I've had since May as well as lots of new faces. By the end of the day, we were exhausted and ready for bed.

After a full day of celebration, appreciation, and love, our community was devastatingly reminded how precious life really is. Our local church took about 200 young teens on a retreat to Lake Victoria. 4 of the young kids drowned in the lake on the first afternoon. Words can't explain what a tragedy this is and WHY it happened. May prayers and thoughts please be with all the families and with the church in this difficult time.

Wednesday was the official last day of Term 2 at our school. Amidst the tragedy, we decided  continue the celebration of a successful term completion with a Parent's Day and more cake! The mom's of those 6 kids who I've fallen madly in love with (the ones from Aunt Linda's apartment) were all there to take them home to Katanga for the 3 week holiday before term 3 begins. Even Rose, (Paul and Damien's mom) although she was drunk, was there. On Monday, we're going to Katanga to check-up on all of them and see them in their homes.


I've surpassed the 1-week countdown for my date of departure. It's hard to think about leaving because I don't think it's possible to reach a point when I'll actually be ready to leave this place. But I am doing everything I can in these last days. I'm visiting 2 of my friend's villages this weekend and saying bye to everyone over the course of the next week.






I hope everyone is having a happy week!

No comments:

Post a Comment